New Student Talent Show

The Cedarville Opera House was filled with noise, and no, it was not another play or concert. On Friday Sept. 16, Cedarville’s freshman class came out for the annual New Student Talent Show.

The chosen acts included the usual number of songs, with singing, instruments or both finding their way into the mix. A monologue comedy skit, a martial arts performance and dancing ranging from lyrical to the “Evolution of Dance” made their way onto the stage. There was even an almost magical solving of Rubik’s Cubes. Yes, cubes. However, although the end of every act was met with thunderous applause, in the end, one performance stood out to the crowd as the best.

Singer and songwriter Bethany Johnson took down the house with her original song “Don’t You Worry” and she said has been singing for as long as she could remember.

“Before I could talk,” Johnson said. “I would hum back the lullabies my Grandma would sing to me instead of going to sleep like I was supposed to.”

Her songwriting skills and lyrics come from God, she said, and it all started through a complicated time in her life.

“During middle school, I went through really bad depression and cutting, but through the glory and grace of God, he actually healed my scars,” she said. “I have absolutely no scars, and have had no trace of them for now, going on six-and-a-half years. After that, God just kind of started, like, dumping these words into my heart, and I was like, ‘Oh, hey, these would sound really good in a song.’”

Her inspiration for the song performed in the talent show came towards the end of her battle with depression.

“They had just got me on the right anti-depressant medication, and I was feeling so good,” she said. “I was finally functioning right, and I was like, it was another one of the things where He just kind of dumped these words into my heart.” she said. “And it was like, ‘Don’t worry, ‘cause I’ve got you. It may look like storms ahead, but I’m walking on the water, and I got you.’”

While the audience clearly loved every part of the show, if their applause was any indication, the other performers had the time of their lives, too.

“It was great to see the other contestants’ talents when we practiced,” said Jacob Mundell, winner of the second show with his own rendition of the “Evolution of Dance.” “It was a good way to start conversations and make some new friends. Being on stage, though, was one of the most amazing moments of my life. Hearing the crowd erupt with applause and ending up winning the whole event made me feel so accomplished and proud of myself.”

Shelby Ahlborg is a sophomore theatre major and A&E writer for Cedars. She enjoys drawing, listening to movie scores, and writing fiction stories.

No Replies to "New Student Talent Show"