Beans or Orion? Getting CU Students’ Opinions

By Anna Harman

Students at Cedarville University have probably heard of the two local coffee shops, Beans and Cream and Orion. Both Beans and Orion are located downtown, only two doors away from each other. Each location provides a different environment and coffee experience, although both are very popular for many students and locals. 

Beans was founded in 1997 and has been at its current location since 2008. The interior of Beans still has the original architecture from when the building was built for use as the bank. It’s very open and provides plenty of seating for the many customers that visit every day. It has a wide selection of beverages to choose from, breakfast and lunch food, pastries, ice cream and plenty of other options. 

Orion started in 2019. Eric and Sharayah Irwin purchased Telemetry Coffee Roasters from Taylor Minor in December 2018, and they rebranded it to Orion. The inside consists of stars decorating the walls, beautiful brick, and has a modern feel. They predominantly offer coffee and tea, but they have some breakfast items and pastries as well. 

Cedarville Senior Youth Ministry and Christian Education major, Alia Ayette says that Beans is her favorite of the two coffee shops. The atmosphere and the variety of drink options lure her to this decision. She goes maybe once or twice a month to get coffee there. 

“Beans has a better study environment because if you want a quieter spot you could go upstairs, but there’s also plenty of space downstairs if you want to study with friends,” she said. 

Orion has two locations: one in Cedarville and one in Jamestown, Ohio. 

Junior Studio Art major Lynsey Stratton used to work at Beans. Stratton enjoys both Beans and Orion, but she enjoys going to Beans if she’s going to be staying a while to study or meet with friends. 

“I like that Beans is often buzzing with Cedarville locals in addition to students,” she said. “Having worked there I know many of the regulars and enjoy getting to catch up with them is always a joy.” 

She says, “Beans is a better choice if I’m going with a group so we can chat, but I think Orion can be better if I need a quiet solo study spot.”

She goes on to say, “I used to go all the time, but the nature of my homework keeps me tied to campus more these days.” 

Junior graphic design major, Julia Peterson, says, “I usually go for iced lattes and I prefer Orion’s lattes better!” Although, she enjoys the environment of Beans and Cream because of the upstairs area, the fact that it has more tables to study and meet with friends at, and the busy, upbeat environment.

Anna Harman is a junior Biblical Studies major and also a reporter for Cedars. She appreciates writing, peppermint tea, flowers, and going to concerts.

Photos courtesy of Beans-n-Cream and Orion Coffee and Tea.  

No Replies to "Beans or Orion? Getting CU Students’ Opinions"