The Rise of Boba Tea

By Anna Harman

Boba tea has become increasingly popular in the United States in recent years. In 2022 alone, the Bubble tea market brought in over two billion USD worth of profit and is expected to steadily increase in sales in the next five years. And students at Cedarville University are not immune to the trend. 

At Cedarville University, Boba tea food trucks have come to several different events and Alt Nights. Students often wait in line for up to an hour just to order a drink, even in the cold or rain. It is clearly something that is very popular and enjoyed by many Cedarville students.  

Boba is a Taiwanese drink that is typically made by blending tea with milk, fruit, and fruit juices. You can then choose to add a topping such as chewy tapioca pearls or fruity popping boba. Although it is a unique kind of beverage, its popularity is widespread. 

Christina Kotsatos, a junior Childhood Education major, has enjoyed boba for several years. Her first time trying it was in the summer of 2018. She did not enjoy it that first time. But somehow, she mustered up the courage to try it again and became a huge fan. 

“I think it has become popular because it’s delicious and very aesthetic,” Kotsatos said. “I honestly don’t know what my favorite flavor is, but if I’m in the mood for a fruity flavor then I’ll get a peach milk tea. But if I’m feeling like I’m in the mood for a sweeter drink, then I get a taro milk tea.”

Natalie Reich, a junior Psychology major, is a huge fan of boba tea. She first tried it at the beginning of her sophomore year at Cedarville. She typically gets matcha milk tea if they have it with tapioca pearls. She’s not fond of the popping boba some places offer.  

“I think it’s popular for several reasons. It’s unique and isn’t just your typical Starbucks or Dunkin drink. It kind of has that extra flare,”  Reich said. “There are also just so many different flavors and types that almost anyone can find something that they like.” 

The ability to customize the drink has contributed to the popularity of Boba tea. As Reich said, it makes the drink attractive to people with different tastes. It also provides an opportunity for people to experiment with different mixtures and find combinations they didn’t know they would like. 

There are several Boba tea locations near Cedarville’s campus: Blossom Juicy Bar in Beavercreek, Kung Fu Tea in Fairborn, and Yumi Boba Tea in Dayton. 

Photo courtesy of Maggie Fipps

Anna Harman is a junior Biblical Studies major and also a reporter for Cedars. She appreciates writing, peppermint tea, flowers, and going to concerts.

2 Replies to "The Rise of Boba Tea"

• comment-avatar
    Alan April 3, 2023 (2:18 pm)

“Who is Boba tea?” -A favorite professor

• comment-avatar
      Chloe Smith April 4, 2023 (8:00 pm)

The most iconic quote