‘The Wingfeather Saga’ episodes 4-6 improve a solid foundation

By Sophia Monastra

After a several-week hiatus, “The Wingfeather Saga” has finished its first season, and I couldn’t be more pleased with how the show has developed.

Searching for a way to save his friend Sara Cobbler, Janner and his siblings are rescued from local wildlife by Peet the Sock Man, who somehow connects to the Igiby family’s secrets. After the Fangs of Dang discover jewels from the destroyed kingdom of Anniera, the Igiby family is arrested. With Peet’s help, they escape and make a last stand at Anklejelly Manor before the siblings discover the hidden secret of the Wingfeather family.

Peet the Sock Man’s relationship with the Igiby family is a focal point in these episodes

In my previous review, I hoped for animation improvement, and in these three episodes, I got it. Thanks to the animation improvement and the fact that I’ve finally gotten used to the hand-painted feel, the last three episodes’ animation and scenery was the best yet, with small gestures and breathing motion represented. Gestures have been significantly smoothed since the first episode, and the characters interact with the 2D-painted landscapes more naturally. One of the greatest strengths of “The Wingfeather Saga”’s animation style is the color palettes and painterly detail of the backgrounds.

Additionally, the plot has ramped up to a conclusion. Fans of the “Wingfeather Saga” book series will probably notice that several events have been combined or edited, including a new subplot involving the Florid Sword and several revelations about Esben Wingfeather. 

A smaller change, as well as a highlight of the finale, is the rendition of “My Love Has Gone Across The Sea,” a song originally from the third book. The song is layered over a contrasting scene of combat in a poignant and chilling contrast that thrilled my book-fan heart.

The show’s music is especially effective at setting a tone that ranges from nostalgic to haunting

While this finale left me with no regrets, a post-credit scene left me worried. While the book-to-show changes in this season enhanced the story for visual adaptation, the scene gave me concerns about how the team is going to handle the execution of plot elements in further books.

“The Wingfeather Saga” has come a long way from the pilot. While it’s not what I initially expected, the first season has done an admirable job of keeping the whimsical spirit of the books while also integrating a tighter plot. I may have criticized the animation, but I believe that the team’s skill will continue to improve. The passion for this story comes out in every hand-painted background, in each beautiful score, every picture-worthy frame and every well-delivered line. In all, I’m happy with the show, and I look forward to the next season.

The Wingfeather Saga is available for streaming on Angel Studios.

Sophia Monastra is a freshman professional writing and information design major and writer for Cedars’ Arts and Entertainment section. She lives in mortal fear of longboards and enjoys reading comics, writing fiction, and experiencing deep emotions about teenage mutant turtles.

Images courtesy of Angel Studios.

1 Reply to "‘The Wingfeather Saga’ episodes 4-6 improve a solid foundation"

• comment-avatar
    Sandy Maxwell April 2, 2024 (5:35 pm)

Is the premier of season 2 red carpet going to be televised/streamed? Where and when?