What the Implications of Working With Food Service are on Cedarville University’s Campus

by Anna Harman

Everybody has received the numerous emails that are sent out frequently by Tossed/Chick-Fil-A, The Dining Hall, and Stingers. They always say things like “Weekend Plea” or “Open Shifts.” Why is there such a shortage of student workers on campus who are willing to help at the various food service locations on campus?

Tossed manager Daley Fogle said, “Though we try to work with the students’ schedules as best we can, it still is difficult. It is also hard at the beginning and the end of a semester to have people work because their schedules tend to be all over the place.”

As a Tossed employee, I speak from experience that it does feel like there isn’t enough time to work, do homework, go to class and socialize. Although, I have worked two hours a day, three days a week for three semesters now. And I still keep up with all assignments and events. I have continued to work at Tossed because of the friendships I’ve made during my time there, the flexibility of the work hours, and also for the extra money.

It is a fairly easy job, and it can involve anything from making wraps and salads, prepping food in the kitchen, washing dishes, or utilities in clean up. You can work between two to 20 hours a week, depending on your schedule and workload. It is a very flexible work environment for college students.

It’s also nice that you can pick up shifts as they become available throughout each week. Students frequently need shifts covered due to events they have to attend, going out of town, sickness, etc. When these things come up, they send a message in the Tossed group chat, and people can pick up their shifts if they can.

It’s been very convenient for me at times when I’ve needed a little extra cash during certain weeks, and I can pick up a couple of shifts for my coworkers. You might not be able to commit to working five days a week all semester long, but when you have those weeks where you hardly have homework or you need the extra money, it is nice to have the option to work more.

Sophomore and Tossed employee Jy Klein said, “It is a great and easy way to serve the student body, and there is always a need for shifts to be filled. When there are not enough people to work it put much strain on those who are working and the student body actually doesn’t benefit as much because not all the stations can be open and available to us due to lack of staffing.”

Sophomore Chick-Fil-A employee Sophia Toledo said, “It can be overwhelming, but I’m so glad I stuck with it because I love my coworkers. I’ve met my really good friends at Chick-Fil-A!.

“You’ll see your coworkers in class and in the dorm, and it’s just a new way to connect. If you like customer interaction and dislike food prep, then front-of-the-house is for you. If dealing with customers isn’t your thing and you like to have straightforward jobs then back-of-the-house is where it’s at. Either way, we have positions for everyone.”

“Working at any of the food service locations on campus means feeding everyone. Making sure everyone is served equally and joyfully. Making sure all issues are resolved and handled professionally. Making the guests feel welcomed because they could be a potential Cedarville student one day!” said manager Daley Fogle.

Pay starts at $8.80/hour Monday-Friday, then goes up to $12/hour starting Friday at 4 p.m.through Sunday for all Cedarville University food service jobs. If you’re interested in working at any of the food service spots on campus, see the contact information below. They have plenty of open shifts and would love to have your help.

Dining hall – Email aevankleeck@cedarville.edu

Tossed – Email tossed@cedarville.edu or talk to a manager at Tossed/Chick-Fil-A

Chick-fil-a – Email chickfila@cedarville.edu

Anna Harman is a sophomore Biblical Studies major and also a reporter for Cedars. She appreciates writing, getting coffee, and going to concerts.

No Replies to "What the Implications of Working With Food Service are on Cedarville University’s Campus"