Bates Hall Gives Resident Director, Courtnie Kuhn, a New and Fun Experience

by Anna Harman

Bates Hall is located on the north end of Cedarville University’s campus across from the townhouses. There are about 140 female students, consisting mostly of upperclassmen.

Courtnie Kuhn is the resident director of Bates, Jenkins and Walker Halls. She became an RD after her husband, Loren, encouraged her to apply. He wanted to apply himself, but he realized that the job was for the female dorm. Kuhn thought that she had no chance of getting an interview, let alone being offered the position. When she met Mindy May, she felt that God was telling her where she needed to be.

Before becoming an RD, she majored in Special Education at Cedarville University. She then worked as an Intervention Specialist for six years. Kuhn’s job as RD is unique and brings something different every day.

Kuhn’s day-to-day life hardly looks the same. She meets with residents and the resident assistants. She sometimes has to unlock doors for residents who get locked out, attends meetings with co-workers, plans events for the dorms, or helps the RAs with events they have planned. She also does weekly room checks, goes to chapel and answers emails. Kuhn also helps to keep track of what’s needed around the various dorms or if there are any problems. She communicates those things to whomever it concerns.

Along with her role as an RD, Kuhn is a mom to two twin 10-year-old boys. When she’s home things get more chaotic for her. But she says, “It’s all so much fun, and I can’t believe I get to call it my job.”

She goes on to say, “It’s pretty fantastic. I have an amazing group of RAs who love their residents, and it is really a lot of fun getting to walk beside young women and help in whatever ways I can. Even when dealing with the heavy things of life, it’s such a blessing getting to do ministry as my job. I love getting to live life beside these young women and be, hopefully, an encouragement to them.”

The dorm verse for Bates is Micah 6:8. It talks about how we should act justly, love mercy and walk humbly. Kuhn tries to live that out with her residents. The other thing Kuhn loves is her team with the other RDs, Dr. Mindy May and Brad Smith. She is very grateful for the privilege to learn from these men and women every day.

After spending her time studying at Cedarville University, earning her bachelor’s degree, and now working here as an RD, she has developed a deep appreciation for this campus.

“Cedarville really is a unique place,” Kuhn said. “It’s incredible to think that as a student I was encouraged and pushed not just academically but spiritually. Now, as an employee, I get that same thing. My co-workers are truly friends and they push me to love the Lord each day. I really don’t know a lot of places that are like that.”

Anna Harman is a sophomore Biblical Studies major and also a reporter for Cedars. She appreciates writing, peppermint tea, flowers, and going to concerts.

No Replies to "Bates Hall Gives Resident Director, Courtnie Kuhn, a New and Fun Experience"