How Coffee Revolutionizes the College Experience

By Anna Harman

If you’re a Cedarville student, it’s probably no surprise to you that coffee is an important part of the experience here on campus. Some of us need it to get through morning classes, exams, study sessions, or maybe even just so we can stay up past 4 pm. Many students meet with friends, mentors, or professors over coffee. 

What makes it so appealing for college students though? 

“My day feels weird or off when I don’t make or get my coffee, it brings me a splurge of joy in the morning when I need to wake up and keeps me buzzing through my classes.” Said Summer Gray, a junior Business Management major. “I think coffee is important to the college experience at Cedarville because it has been the spark to so many amazing conversations and relationships. Bumping into people by Rinnova or in the lower SSC between classes when you have 30 minutes to get a pick-me-up drink can produce the most fruitful conversations.” 

There are many coffee spots in Cedarville that students spend a lot of time at throughout the week. Among these are places in town, such as Beans-n-Cream and Orion Coffee and Tea. Though the most frequented coffee place for students is the campus coffee shop, Rinnova. Rinnova is the campus coffee shop in the Stevens Student Center that students have easy access to day-to-day. It is a central hub for studying and socialization. 

Rinnova serves as a social hub for students daily. 

“Rinnova is a space for the development of friendships and deepening of relationships through deep conversations.” Said junior Nursing major Jy Klein.

Caffeine can sometimes be the reason students get through their classes, giving them the boost they need to pay attention and absorb material. Klein likes to get coffee to help her get through classes and studying. Her current favorite drink is an iced honey oat latte. She also enjoys meeting with the girls from her discipleship group over coffee.

“There is something comforting and disarming when you meet with people over coffee and get to know them more,” Klein said. “It helps break down the barriers and allows a common ground to connect and start conversations. It gives us ways to connect with others socially, academically, and sometimes even spiritually all through the conversations that may be held over a cup of coffee.” 

I (Anna Harman) can’t go a day without coffee. It’s a part of my day-to-day, whether that’s making it in my dorm, grabbing an iced coffee from Chick-Fil-A (hallelujah they added it this year), or meeting a friend at Rinnova to catch up or study. Sometimes it’s also nice to go off campus to Orion or Dunkin with friends. Coffee is definitely an essential part of my college career! 

I think it’s safe to say that coffee is an important part of students’ everyday lives here at Cedarville University. Coffee provides a way for students to connect with one another, stay awake in their classes, and just enjoy their day. Whether it’s a comforting hot coffee for the cold winter months, or an iced PSL (Pumpkin Spice Latte) to get you through the fall, coffee plays an important role in the lives of students and revolutionizes the college experience for many. 

Anna Harman is a junior Biblical Studies major and also a reporter for Cedars. She appreciates writing, peppermint tea, flowers, and going to concerts.  

No Replies to "How Coffee Revolutionizes the College Experience"