‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law’ Finale Falls Flat

By Samuel M Acosta

This past week we finally saw the ending of “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law” and it is definitely something different than we have ever seen before from Marvel.  Not only does it lean into the fourth-wall-breaking nature of the character, but it does away with the typical big fight sequence at the end. Yet, I can’t help but feel unsatisfied with the show’s ending, especially in light of how amazing the episode before this was. It all just feels rushed and underdeveloped. While I respect the bravery of the new direction, I don’t think it stuck the landing. 

The finale starts with Jen being let out of prison on the agreement that she never turns into She-Hulk again. Bent on finding out who the Hulk-King is, Jen recruits Nikki and Pug to help. While Nikki and Pug infiltrate an Intelligencia meeting, Jen goes to Emil’s retreat to find peace. It just so happens that the Intelligencia meeting is at Emil’s retreat and the Abomination is the keynote speaker. It is revealed that, as predicted, Todd is the Hulk-King and he gives himself Hulk powers using a synthetic made from Jen’s blood. Then a fight breaks out, Hulk and Titania show up, everyone is fighting and Jen decides she has had enough. She breaks out of the episode, goes to Marvel studios, and talks to K.E.V.I.N. about changing the episode’s ending. After explaining what she wants, everything is resolved, justice is had, and Jen ends up with her life back intact.

Jen takes the ending of her story into her own hands

I will agree that the decision to have Jen break out of the episode because she wasn’t happy with her ending is something that fits the character. She has done so before in the comics. So I am not upset with that decision. I think I just don’t think that it was well executed. I wish K.E.V.I.N. had maybe pushed back a bit more instead of giving in to every one of her demands. Like if she gets most of what she wants, but she still has some conflicts that she had to resolve when she got back. I feel like it was just too easy of a win for me to feel satisfied. 

I also feel like a lot was left unresolved because of that ending. Titania is sidelined, we never fully understand the role the Wreckers play, we don’t know the full extent or power of Intelligencia beyond Todd or if there is more serum out there. While I know these might be things that get tackled in the next season, I still feel like it all ended a bit too quickly. I want to feel like the villains and events of “She-Hulk” have some weight outside of the series. 

I think that is what made Todd being the big villain feel so disappointing. Back when we were theorizing about who it could be, the fans had so many ideas. The Leader or The Power Broker were some of the big names and both of those would’ve had implications far beyond just the show. Todd is just so much lesser in terms of that. 

Jen and Matt are my favorite super-couple

I do enjoy that we got to see Daredevil again and it seems as if there is a relationship brewing between Matt and Jen. Whether or not it is something that will last long term is something I assume we will find out in the new Daredevil show. I think I would like to see She-Hulk in the Daredevil show as a visiting character because her chemistry with Murdock was one of the best parts of this show. So I definitely support the road I feel this is going down.

I am curious to see what Hulk and his son Skaar will contribute to the future of the MCU. While they only really cameoed in this episode, it seems like there is a big project for them coming in the future. With the recent news that Harrison Ford will be taking on the role of Thunderbolt Ross aka Red Hulk in future movies, we might see the Hulks have a larger part to play in upcoming films and series.

Overall, I have enjoyed this series as a basic show. It is average in most areas but rarely has it upset me. I have found many parts funny and enjoy Jen as a character. I just think that this show could’ve been more. It has the potential and it just didn’t deliver. There are so many people saying this is the worst show ever. That is a lie. Some people are saying that it is one of the best shows ever. That is not true. I think that this show lies between the two. If you expect too much, you will be disappointed, but on the flip side, if you don’t expect a lot, you might find yourself enjoying it more than you thought.

I give the “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law” finale a 4/10

I give the series as a whole a 5.5/10

“She-Hulk” Season 1 is now streaming on Disney+

Samuel M Acosta is a Senior Theatre Comprehensive Major and an Arts and Entertainment writer for Cedars. He likes spending his time watching movies, drinking Dr. Pepper, and writing plays.

Images courtesy of Marvel Studios

No Replies to "‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law’ Finale Falls Flat"