‘The Marvels’ is a comedic and fun addition to the Marvel universe 

By Anna Harmon

I wasn’t sure what to expect from the new film “The Marvels.” It looked like it could be interesting, but the previews did not really spark my interest. Marvel hasn’t put out many good movies or TV shows lately, so I wasn’t expecting much from this film. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it and thought it was hilarious and fun to watch.

In the film, Captain Marvel (Brie Larson), Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) and Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani) all have powers connected to light and electromagnetic energy. For some reason, they are mysteriously switching places with each other through teleportation when each of them uses their powers. 

Kamala was a superfan of Captain Marvel before they met. Her room is covered in posters and she dreamed of meeting Captain Marvel one day. It was a cute addition to the movie to see how excited she was to meet Captain Marvel, even when they were trying to fight against the Kree. It was heartwarming to see her become an important addition to the team with Captain Marvel and Monica Rambeau after she dreamed of it all her life. 

An interesting thing that director Nia DaCosta explores in the film is who Carol Danvers, or Captain Marvel, really is outside of being “Captain Marvel.” She suffered from amnesia in the first movie and lost her memories of who she was before. The only thing she remembers is being in the Air Force with her fellow pilot and friend, Maria Rambeau (Lashana Lynch). Although she has been through a lot of trials, she is still considered to be a powerful hero in the Marvel universe. 

In this film, we see that despite her being one of the most powerful Avengers, she recognizes how she caused a lot of deaths and issues in her efforts to save people. She is realizing how her actions affect others for the first time. I thought this was an extremely interesting thing to include in the film because Captain Marvel doesn’t seem like the type to walk away with regrets or guilt, but she is human still and viewers get to see that. 

Kamala Khan idolized Captain Marvel before becoming a part of her team later in the film. 

Marvel also does a phenomenal job with the special effects, the animation and the sets of their scenes. It truly is hard to believe that all of these kingdoms throughout the planets outside of Earth aren’t real because the characters from these planets have such a human feel to them. 

I loved the costumes for Captain Marvel and Kamala Khan, especially because they match each other’s colors and I think that’s adorable considering Kamala’s admiration for Captain Marvel. I was not as impressed by the costume for Monica Rambeau because it seemed sort of plain compared to the other girls’, being a plain black and white bodysuit. I thought they could do a bit more with her costume. 

One of my favorite parts of the movie and favorite sets was the scene depicting the planet of Aladna. This planet’s language is singing, so. when Captain Marvel, Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau went to the planet to ask for aid in fighting the Kree, Captain Marvel sang to the prince and danced with him. I thought this was by far the most surprising and hilarious part of the movie. 

This movie was unexpectedly comical, fun and full of beautiful set designs and special effects. It may not be nearly as impressive as some of the Marvel movies such as “Endgame” or “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” but it was definitely worth the watch! 

“The Marvels” is now playing in theaters.

Anna Harman is a senior Christian Education major and also a reporter for Cedars. She appreciates writing, chai lattes, flowers and going to concerts.     

Images courtesy of Marvel Studios.

2 Replies to "‘The Marvels’ is a comedic and fun addition to the Marvel universe "

• comment-avatar
    James December 3, 2023 (9:42 am)

lol costumes and set designs are the best you got. People want a good story not cool clothes and backgrounds.

• comment-avatar
    Noah December 9, 2023 (3:02 pm)

Thanks for writing this; I enjoyed the movie too! It definitely stands out from some of Marvel’s more recent projects. I appreciated how Carol’s humanity and her friendship with the other leads were featured.